- 2011 Nebraskaland Magazine-May Issue. The Switzer Ranch and Calamus Outfitters was featured in an article by Nebrakaland author/photographer Eric Fowler. Mr. Fowler tells the story of how both Switzer children were able to return home by diversifying into nature based tourism as well as highlights conservation measures being practiced on the Switzer Ranch.
- 2011 Prairie Fire. This publication is proud to list themselves as the progressive voice of the plains. Sarah (Switzer) Sortum's article, The Economics of Grassland Birds, was featured on the front page of the February edition.
- 2011 Nebraska Rural Electric. Author and photographer Alan Bartels featured the Prairie Chicken booming activities offered by Calamus Outfitters for his cover story of this regional publication.
- 2011 Omaha World Herald and Kearney Hub. Staff writer David Hendee told how eco-tourism can become a cash crop in Nebraska using Calamus Outfitters as a successful example.
- 2010 State of Nebraska Outstanding Nature Tourism Entity. Lt. Governor Rick Sheehy awarded Calamus Outfitters this high honor after a nomination process.
- 2010 NET Public Television Feature Episode. Nebraska Stories, a popular program of Nebraska Public Television, featured the Switzer Ranch/Calamus Outfitters in episode #109, Shifting Sands.
- 2010 Important Bird Area (IBA) Designation. Audubon Nebraska deemed the Switzer Ranch an IBA as part of the Greater Gracie Creek Landscape. The IBA designation is a global network of places recognized for their outstanding value to bird conservation.
- 2010 Audubon Magazine-March-April Edition. Under the section of Green Travel, Calamus Outfitters was highlighted in the article entitled "March Magic". Plains, cranes and prairie chickens were featured as a draw to this area of the country.
- 2009 Travel & Leisure Global Vision Award for Wildlife Tourism. This award referenced the efforts of using the African country of Namibia as a model to conservation and economic development in the U.S. The award recognized the Switzer family's contribution in Northern Great Plains Restoration.
- 2008 Burwell Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year