Tanking & Tubing
What is river tanking? We simply take plastic water or feeding tanks used for livestock, add some seating, then float you down the river! The Calamus River is great for tanking and tubing as it has a relatively slow current and is shallow enough that all ages can enjoy the experience. Surrounded by the beautiful scenery of the Nebraska Sandhills, you are sure to have a relaxing time.
Calamus Outfitters offers two or five-hour trips. We provide life jackets, push pole and drop-off or pick-up transportation.
Tank (capacity is 4-5 adults):
Cooler tube: $10
Two-hour trip: 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Five-hour trip: 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
NOTE: Start times are on the hour (i.e. - 9, 10, 11, etc.) and are when we would like to get you on the river. Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled start time.
Kayaking & Canoeing
Along with tanking and tubing, the Calamus River is ideal for a relaxing float in a kayak or canoe. Calamus Outfitters offers three or four-hour trips. We provide life jackets, paddles and drop-off or pick-up transportation.
Kayak: $25 + tax
Canoe: $35 + tax
Personal Tubes, Kayaks, etc.: please be aware that there is a $20.00 shuttle fee per item
Map from Burwell to Calamus Outfitters
We ask that all abide by the following simple rules:
All guests of Calamus Outfitters, LLC, engaging in any and all river float trips acknowledge the following:
1. All river float trips carry a possibility of serious injury. Consumption of alcohol increases the risk of injuries. Calamus Outfitters, LLC, and Switzer Ranch are not responsible for injuries or accidents.
2. DO NOT TRESPASS. All float trips run through private property, so please stay within the confines of the river banks. Do not get out of the river on to the high banks as you will be charged with trespassing. The Loup County Sheriff will be called and you will be fined $50.00 + court costs. No exceptions.
3. When tanking, someone in your party will need to get out of the tank and guide the tank to the left side of the river to the landing and help get your party safely out of the river.
4. Please do not litter. Not only is it unsightly, but it can pose hazards to people and wildlife.
5. Be courteous to others on the river and be mindful of your language as there are a lot of families that participate in this activity.
6. The length (two-hour or five-hour) of all river trips are APPROXIMATE. Due to weather conditions, river flow, your party and other factors, your trip may be shorter or longer than the time listed. The times listed are average lengths of trips.